Thursday, July 29, 2010

Physical Exams...

Before we left Northport, our company required us to get thorough physical exams before entering China. It was part of the process to receive our Work Visa. On Wednesday of this week, Sarah and I went through a required Chinese physical exam to complete the process. Let me just say, this was an experience.

The medical clinic was three stories tall and filled from top-to-bottom with people. Upon entrance, we approached the front desk where a woman used a laser-type gun to read our temperature and give us some paperwork. The laser gun never touched our head, but was able to record an accurate temperature. Why are we not using these in America? After filling out the paper work, we went to three different windows and showed them our passports, paperwork and paid them. This was the easy stuff.

Our first visit was to the third floor. On the third floor, I took a small cup from a window and proceeded to give a urine sample. Only problem, the cup holds about 3 sips of water. I am sure that you can see the problem without me going into detail. Giving my sample was much easier than Sarah, as I had a urinal. She was forced to use a squatty potty. Upon returning our sample to the same window, we proceeded to stick our arm into the next window for a blood sample. It was actually pretty easy, but since we were not allowed to eat or drink since the night before, many of us got a little light headed. One of the older men in our group asked how the free apple juice tasted after giving blood.

After the blood sample, we moved to the second floor. My first exam was with an eye doctor. We had to read the letters M or W throughout an eye chart. The funny thing about the eye doctor was that he smoked a cigarette after every few patients in the eye exam room. Also on that floor, I got my first taste of being a woman. I underwent an ultrasound. The female nurse/doctor rubbed that ultrasound wand all over my chest and side with that cold lubricant. It was not a pleasant experience. Just in case anyone was wondering, I am not pregnant. Also on this floor, I went for an ECG, blood pressure check, weight check and height check. Most of that was normal, except for the ECG which used the jumper cable devices for feet and arms, while using suction cups on your chest. I guess the suction cups were  a good alternative to the sticky things they use in America which pull off most of my chest hair.

We proceeded to the first floor for our final treat, an X-ray. This was by far the longest line of the day, as we waited for over an hour. To take the X-ray, you faced a wall, put your hands behind your back and looked up. It was a very awkward feeling. It was even worse for Sarah, as she had to use the community robe that everyone else that day had slipped on.

Evidently Sarah and I are healthy, as we passed all the checks. The exam took about 3 hours total and we were given warm milk after wards. Since we were all starving, we went to KFC for lunch. I will give more info on food later.

Perdues Out

3 comments:

  1. At least you didn't have to turn your head and cough ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    Went to Swens tonight and thought about yall. Chen asked if yall were on the next flight back to the states, I laughed and I told her yall made it safely.
    And I agree, the scanner temp device should definitely be brought over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.
    Oh yeah I forgot to tell yall about the vacant toilets or should I say holes in the ground. I remember the same thing in Japan. I didn't know if it would be the same there.
    Happy Hovering!

    ReplyDelete