Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Destination Culebra: Day 2

Sarah and I awoke at the crack of dawn to attempt snorkeling with sea turtles at Tamarindo Beach. We decided to go the self-guide route. We found our way to the beach, well off the typical path but still reachable by Jeep. A swarm of mosquitoes aided our acclimation to the cold water as Sarah and I were off to find some sea creatures. After a short swim, I spotted a sting ray below me and mistakenly pointed it out to Sarah. She treated such sting ray as a great white shark and nearly pulled me under while screaming at the top of her lungs. We swam for an hour and enjoyed another sting ray, a variety of fish and finally on our way back to shore, sea turtles!

We followed up the morning dip with an organic breakfast at an outdoor market. The food tasted all the same to me, but each item said organic before it on the menu, so I take it as a check mark in the daily healthy column!

Thanks to a recommendation from a friend we met on the plane, Sarah and I set off for Brava Beach. The Jeep got us partially down the path but a dead end forced us in to a 30-minute hike through some pretty rough terrain. The hike was well worth the time and energy, as Sarah and I found the most amazing beach. It was huge with plenty of sand and waves. The best part... we were the only people on the beach for the entire length of our stay. It is the highlight of the trip for me!

After a quick shower, Sarah and I went to Dinghy Docks for lunch. It had a great atmosphere and even better food. We went with crab cakes for an appetizer, Mahi-Mahi sandwich for Sarah, Grouper Sandwich for myself and Peanut Butter Pie for dessert. The positive reviews for this restaurant were spot on!

Sarah and I spent the afternoon at Flamenca Beach. It is the reason that I decided upon on Culebra as our spring break adventure. It was ranked by Trip Adviser as the No. 2 beach in the world. In terms of just a beach, I do not know what could be better. The water is crystal clear. The sand is plentiful and soft. Their are no high rises or buildings in sight. It is just water and nature. We soaked the water for a long time and just admired the amazing views.

After such a long day, Sarah and I picked up dinner to-go and settled in for a night at our beautiful condo and watched the sunset. Sarah read a book while I laid in the hammock.

*** Due to the mosquitoes and lack of underwater camera, I only have mental images of our snorkeling adventure.


Walking Trail was an understatement especially on the return hike up the mountain.


Must have been taken on the way to Brava Beach because our faces were not so happy on the way out due to the hike!


Trail got rough in spots


Finally, we see the water!


I went high and Sarah went low on the rocks.


This beach was amazing and we were the only ones on it!


Sarah working her selfie pose!


Might have eaten one of these for lunch


Amazing view from our lunch table


Pretty hot, if I must say so myself!


The famous tank on Flamenca Beach


Our view from the condo as we chilled on the hammock


1 comment: