Friday, November 20, 2009

Random Movie Fact...

There are many movies that I viewed when I was in elementary school, but do not remember the slightest thing about these days. With remakes taking over the movie market, I try to catch up on the originals. Rumor has it that a new, updated Mad Max will be released in the next couple of years.

For those who do not know Mad Max, it was one of Mel Gibson's first flicks. It was an Australian film of a future world where vigilante road gangs ruled the landscape. Gibson, an Australian road cop, kills one of the gang members in a high speed chase. This leads to the rest of the gang to kill his partner, wife, child and dog. Just like all action movies, he seeks revenge and destroys the gang all by himself.

I watched the movie this week from my DVR. The trilogy came on AMC (still have Mad Max: Road Warrior and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome to go) and I recorded the whole set. The original was actually a great movie. Using Australia as its backdrop, the director created a beautiful setting for viewers. The music was excellent, along with great cinematography. My favorite scenes are these 1-second flash clips of the bad guys' eyes bulging out just before they die.

Now to the reason that I wrote this blog. I am a horror film freak. When I was little, I stayed up all night on Halloween watching Friday the 13th Movies and Nightmare on Elm Street on the USA Network. Lately, I catch all of the Saw movies and Halloween remakes. I am also looking forward to the new take on Freddy and return of the Scream series in 2010-11.

The original Saw was based on a man getting a choice... die in a room where no one will ever find you, while chained to a bath tub or cut off you leg at the ankle with the rusty hacksaw on the floor and crawl to safety. Come to find out, this idea was not original to Saw. Those guys stole it from the original Mad Max. At the end of Mad Max, he catches the last bad guy and handcuffs him by the ankle to a flipped over car that is leaking gas. Max gives the guy a saw and tells him that he has five minutes to saw his leg off or burn/blow up with the vehicle.

Who knew that Mel Gibson was the original Jigsaw!

1 comment:

  1. That makes me want to sing:

    We don't need another hero
    We don't need to know the way home
    All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome

    FYI: they are doing a remake of The Secret of Nimh...it will NEVER be as good as the original!

    ReplyDelete