Friday, November 6, 2009

Fall TV Favorites

There have been many things that were invented, created or developed in my life time that I do not know how I lived without. As a child, I do not know how I lived without my original Nintendo Entertainment System. I played Mega Man, RBI Baseball, Contra, Duck Hunt or sprinted against the Cheetah on my Power Pad everyday, all day.

During high school and college, the emergence of cellular phones has taken me and nearly everyone else on this Earth by storm. I can't ride in my car, sit at my desk or go to a ballgame without calling or texting my wife or friends. I get mad at my students who try to text during class or drivers who don't pay attention because they are talking, but I am just as guilty as any of them. I have, however, taken a vow to my wife that I will not text and drive with Brynn in the car.

The most recent addition to the Perdue lifestyle has been DirecTV HD DVR Service. I have heard from friends how great TiVo or DVR players can be, but I never thought them neccessary since I did not watch many shows religously. I was sooooo wrong! We love our new DVR. I am currently watching about 20 different series ranging from sports to suspense to romantic comedy.

I have decided to compile a list of 10 Favorite shows of the Fall. Some are obvious, while others have become a guilty pleasure.

BUSTS

10. Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice: I watched the first episodes of both shows this season and have not watched since. Major Disappointments! Actually, Grey's lost me when Katherine Heigl started seeing a ghost-boyfriend last season.

9. TUF (Ultimate Fighter Reality Show) : This show has been a major disappointment since it was supposed to be the best season, EVER! With heavyweights, I expected some great knockouts and pranks inside the house. Instead, I have gotten seven fights were the combatants were gassed within 3 minutes. The show was built around Kimbo Slice, but he lost his first fight and hasn't played a major role. The season still has a ways to go and hopefully can turn itself around.

8. The Office: This show has always been one of my favorites, but has been a let down this season. I have laughed alot, but nothing out of the ordinary. I must say, however, I was thrilled with the wedding episode. I just think it should have opened or closed the season. I am not sure where the show will go in the future.. but I expect it to center around Jim and Pam having a child, Michael finding a wife and Dwight doing something random.

Better than Expected

7. Cougar Town: This is my new guilty pleasure. The show only last 30 minutes, but I am constantly wanting it to go for a full hour. Courtney Cox is definitely back in her element, which is comedy. The parade of supporting characters all bring something different. I love her ex-husband, the golf pro, who lives on a boat which is docked in a parking lot across the street from the beach and drives a golf cart, instead of a car.

6. Flash Forward: I have always been anti-Lost. This show was promoted along the same lines as Lost with the sense of suspense, mystery and intrigue. I did not have high hopes for this show and thought it might not last long. I was proven incorrect. This show is great with a great storyline and great characters. It brings in solid mystery every week, adds elements of surprise and decent firefight scenes. This past week, a hobbitt joined the ensemble and made the episode complete. I look forward to seeing how long this show lasts and what direction it goes. Please no Aliens!

5. Modern Family: This is my surprise comedy hit of the season. I was excited about this show's premiere, but feared all the funny spots were in the promos. I could not have been more wrong. The characters are what makes the show. Each is very different, but someone that I have interacted with at some point during my life. Even the young children on the show are very funny, especially Manny, a 10-year-old boy who acts like a 50-year old man and provides the adults with plenty of life advice.

My Favorites

4. Numbers: I watch this show so I will feel smart. I do not know what is going on most of the time, but whenever I do get the math equation that solves the murder, I feel extremely intelligent. Too bad this only happens about twice a season.

3. Law and Order SVU: This has been one of my favorite shows for a very long time. I do not like any other Law and Order, but find this show very entertaining. Many episodes can be very disturbing (Sarah avoids this show), but it is a part of crime that you do not hear much about.

2. CSI: NY: This has become my favortie non-comedy show on TV. The show is led by Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump with help from Tag of Friends. Yes, I have watched way too much TV. I do not watch Vegas or Miami, but have settled upon New York for some reason. Most of the storylines are very interesting and Sarah has really taken to this show. It is one of the few suspense type shows or movies that I can get her to watch. Plus, they killed off a main character at the end of last season and anytime that a main person goes down, I respect the writers for taking a chance.

1. How I Met Your Mother: The best show on TV! Barney, Robin, Ted, Marshall and Lily form the best cast since Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Ross, Joey and Chandler. Whether the cast is making a Slap Bet or "hearing bag pipes" from their upstairs neighbors. I love the humor. What makes this show great is that someone can watch it for the first time and laugh their heads off, but someone who has seen every episode can watch it and laugh their head off at completely different jokes. The reason... this show provides tons of inside jokes from season to season that gives the regulars a new giggle.

Honoarble Mention (almost made the list): So You Think You Can Dance, Cold Case, Vampire Diaries, Dancing With the Stars

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm. Good list. I'm an SVU disciple, Elliot can do no wrong in my book. Obviously you can't go wrong with The Office as a standard that HAS to be on a list like this. Here are a few others that I would put on a list, and I wonder what you think of them:

    1: 30 Rock - I mean, good lord, when doesn't this show make me laugh. I enjoy the abusurdist storylines, and Tracy Morgan and Alec Baldwin interactions could be a show unto itself.

    2: Mad Men - I'd say the biggest thing going against this show is that its "heavy". I mean, you don't sit down to watch Mad Men if you're wanting a happy, care free hour. However, having watched the first season on DVD, I was hooked by the intricate story lines, the multi-layered charachters, and the pure peak into a different time and era. Don and Betty Draper are two of the more fascinating charachters on TV today. I instantly had to go get season two on dvd, watched them all, and now have been trying to keep up with season three on weekend when I go home to Cincinnati.

    3: Glee - Am I gay for liking this show? Ehh, maybe, but that's fine. In the direct opposite from Mad Men, Glee is an power-hour of light-hearted fun and jokes. It's got a great comedic sense, and you know what, sometimes a little relaxing song-and-dance can be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete