Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thailand Day 7...

January 2


This new princess shirt of Brynn's is an example of how not to barter in Thailand (see #1 below).


Brynn enjoyed a daquiri and margarita on the beach (watermelon and pineapple slush)


Brynn actually showing a photogenic side last night on the beach.


Our view from the dinner table last night where we enjoyed BBQ Shrimp Skewers!

Highlights:
1. How to barter for something your child wants...
              Step 1: Do not take child with you to shop.
              Step 2: Inform child to act like she is not that interested in item.
              Step 3: When the buyer gives a high price, tell daughter to just walk out.
              Step 4: Tell daughter to dismissively wave him off when he only drops it by a small amount.
I did not follow any of these steps last night and overpaid for a Princess Night Gown. Brynn informed me at dinner last night that she wanted a princess shirt she had seen at a shop on the beach. She does not ask for much, so I am willing to buy her a gift when it is reasonable. I asked her to show me the shirt. We go to the store and try on the shirt. I ask the man a price and it is absurd. I give him my low price and he sticks with his price. I tell Brynn that we can not get the shirt. The waterworks begin immediately. She is crying and does not understand because daddy promised her a princess shirt. I tell Susan to take her out while I work with man, but I know that I am toast. I make him a fair offer and he only budges a little, so I walk out. He knows and I know that I will be back or I am going to have a heartbroken Brynn. I send Sarah back with a fixed amount and he goes for it. I ended up paying about 30-percent more than I wanted. In American dollars it is not a huge deal, but in Thai Baht, it can add up!
2. We enjoyed a wonderful meal on the beach last night. Brynn ended up naked and in the ocean before the entrees arrived. We have pictures that will be pulled out at later use for embarrassment purposes.
3. It was a pretty average day for the Perdues. Brynn and I played in the pool by ourselves while Sarah, Susan and Aubrey went out for lunch and shopping.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'll keep those bartering tips in mind. As long as Matt didn't end up naked before the entrees arrived I think things will be OK :)

    ReplyDelete