Sunday, September 19, 2010

Gameday in China...

My how Saturdays in the Fall have changed for Matt Perdue!
 
When I say Saturdays in the Fall, it is actually Sunday at 12 AM for me in Chengdu. While all college football fans in America settle down on the couch for the early games at lunch, I hear my alarm ring at 12 AM signaling time to wake up and watch Georgia vs. Arkansas.

When all my friends and family gather to watch Alabama vs. Duke at 2:30 PM in the afternoon with the grill going and drinks flowing, I am laying on the couch of my 5th story apartment at 3:30 AM by myself with a warm glass of Coca Cola.

When all the Alabama fans are celebrating their drumming of the Blue Devils by watching Auburn pull a win out of their butts over Clemson, I am on an hour bus drive to International Fellowship at 9AM in the morning.

Gamedays are very different for me this Fall. I am not attending all of Alabama's games for the first time in three seasons. I do not have the luxury of watching every meaningful game on TV this season. Last week, I woke up early for the second half of Ohio State-Miami, but missed South Carolina-Georgia. Today, I missed the second half of Auburn-Clemson and all of Iowa-Arizona. Instead of eating my pregame meal at Swens, I am eating authentic Chinese food on the streets of Xi Pu. Last night for example, I tasted a local cuisine called Hot Pot. I will be posting pictures and giving a description of this unique experience later.

Even though I live across the Pacific Ocean from college football, I have yet to miss a snap of Alabama football. I hope to keep that tradition up throughout this season. My only concern is the Iron Bowl, as I will be at a Model United Nations Conference in Singapore during the game.

Next week's game will another early riser, as the Crimson Tide meets the Arkansas Razorbacks at 3:30 AM. It will be a great test for Alabama and I will be up bright and early cheering the team on!

Matt Perdue OUT!

1 comment:

  1. what??? You don't get the day after Thanksgiving off in China?

    ReplyDelete